Thursday, July 7, 2016

Remembering Elie Wiesel

10 Quotes by Elie Wiesel, may his life, memory, and legacy be a blessing to everyone. May God grant him shalom eternal.

“We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”
   “For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.”
   “When a person doesn't have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity.”
   “I decided to devote my life to telling the story because I felt that having survived I owe something to the dead. And anyone who does not remember betrays them again.”
   “Without memory, there is no culture. Without memory, there would be no civilization, no society, no future.”
   “Someone who hates one group will end up hating everyone - and, ultimately, hating himself or herself.”
   “I was very, very religious. And of course I wrote about it in 'Night.' I questioned God's silence. So I questioned. I don't have an answer for that. Does it mean that I stopped having faith? No. I have faith, but I question it.”
   “Now, when I hear that Christians are getting together in order to defend the people of Israel, of course it brings joy to my heart. And it simply says, look, people have learned from history.”
   “For in my tradition, as a Jew, I believe that whatever we receive we must share.”

   “I wanted to write a commentary on the Bible, to write about the Talmud, about celebration, about the great eternal subjects: love and happiness.”

No comments: