Thursday, August 2, 2018

Clergy Comment column

Here is my article published in the August 2, 2018 Camrose Canadian Clergy Comment column. PLEASE NOTE: This is my last Clergy Comment column, since sadly, the Camrose Canadian will publish its last issue next Thursday, August 9, 2018. L
   Justice. It’s been said that justice is not for just us, which reminds me of the song “Justice” by Canadian singer-songwriter, Bruce Cockburn: “Everybody loves to see justice done on somebody else.” If justice is only for just us, then the question arises does everybody else live with injustice? Bruce Cockburn’s lyrics may have the nuance of dreading justice because it might involve something we don’t want.
   What is justice? Can we live without it? If we observe and analyze the news from around the world, it appears that there are far too many nations that justice is denied to way too many people.
   According to biblical scholars, the Hebrew word tsedeq is mentioned some 119 times; and the feminine form tsedaqah is mentioned some 159 times in the Old Testament. The two words have a variety of meanings: moral uprightness, righteousness, holiness, honesty, integrity, legal rights, good government, fairness, equality-including economic equality, innocence, prosperity and salvation. In the New Testament, the Greek word dikaiosune is mentioned some 92 times. It has a similar meaning as the Old Testament words.
   There are, of course, at least two kinds of justice. God’s justice, which reflects God’s nature, and is usually impartial, all-inclusive, and very concerned about the poor and vulnerable, widows, orphans, and foreigners. Human justice, at its best, endeavours to strive for a justice that reflects God’s justice, however it shall always be influenced by our sinful condition and hence be imperfect, proximate, and provisional—determined by socio-economic-political and ideological agendas. 
   As a people of faith, in response to God’s grace, and the just ways that God and other humans have treated us, we are given our mission: “He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8) “Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’” (Matthew 25:34-36)
   Justice is not for just us, it is for everyone. It involves the practical living out of our lives with compassion towards all; seeing every human being as a brother and a sister created in the image of God.


No comments: