Friday, December 6, 2013

Nelson Mandela Tribute Video

One Canadian journalist whom I respect, Brian Stewart, has written and presented a documentary on Nelson Mandela-check it out at the CBC website here. Stewart gives us the realistic picture of South Africa's first black, iconic President. There is no question that the world has lost a gifted leader, whose legacy shall live on in the hearts, minds and lives of human beings from every corner of the globe.  I think the most significant contribution that Nelson Mandela made was that of being able to forgive and initiate reconciliation with his enemies of the Apartheid regime. On one of his visits to the United States, he had this to say to Vermont's senator, Patrick Leahy: "Patrick, because of my imprisonment I was able to lead my country out of apartheid. For that I do not feel bitterness, but joy." I think that quote epitomises the high moral-ethical, and spiritual nature of the man. Rest eternal grant Nelson Mandela, O Lord; and let light perpetual shine upon him.

2 comments:

MitchyLR said...

As I said in my tribute on my FB page: The term 'great man' is one that seems to be bandied about at will these days, often undeservedly. But today we have heard of the passing of one who was truly a great man of our times: Nelson Mandela.

Dim Lamp said...

Indeed, he was, and I think shall be an inspiration to so many.