Sunday, May 31, 2015

Short ponderings on a few C.S. Lewis quotes

"I wrote the books I should have liked to read. That's always been my reason for writing. People won't write the books I want, so I have to do it for myself." If only more writers would have a similar goal, I daresay a whole lot of books would be more engaging. Yet, Lewis' last sentence in this quote is, I think for most of us, easier said than done!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough." I am inclined to agree with Lewis on tea, but not on long books-alas, some seem to me far too long. 

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." I find this a very insightful truth, as well as a tad humorous. There can be some significant theological and biblical grist for the mill in fairy tales. 

"A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." Another profound, insightful thought, children's stories with universal motifs in them tend to hold the reader's attention regardless of the reader's/listener's age. 

"You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you." When I think of this statement, I think of those living under oppressive regimes; those who are exploited by lies of the mass media-especially the advertising industry; and those who are struggling with abuse and addictions of all kinds. 

Do you the readers of this post have any thoughts on these C.S. Lewis quotes? 

No comments: